Thursday, January 3, 2013

Dark Eldar Venom VIP’s and a small tutorial.


Hi,

Here you can see my progress with my 3 Venom Transports for Dark Eldar.




There is still much work to do but now I will have more time to paint so I expect to finish them by the end of the next week.

I wanted to show you how I make some simple wasteland bases for my Dark Eldar. Now lets get started.


For my bases I’m using:
-         Vallejo Grey Pumice,
-         Tom Holtz Distress Crackle Paint,
-         some small rocks from Games Workshops 40k basing kit (u can use normal rocks if u can find similar ones),
-         some bark,
-         and some gypsum bricks and plates,

First of all I glued some rocks, bark and gypsum elements to the bases to make some rubble and rocks that will be very visible on the base.



Next using the Distress Crackle paint I painted the whole base to make some interesting texture on the base. This paint is fantastic in my opinion because you can paint with it some elements and even models to make crackle effects on them and it only depends how thick you lay the paint. If you paint it thick then the cracks will be bigger but with a thin layer they are very small and give you a very interesting effect on different surfaces.



Here you can see how it looks after drying. Some cracks are big and some are delicate.


To finish the modeling I added some Vallejo Grey Pumice to make some sand and after drying those bases will be ready to paint. I recommend this Pumice because it’s a fast and easy way to make sand and you don’t need to mix sand with glue you just take it from the pot and put on the surface.


So the modeling stage is finished and they look like some post apocalyptic wasteland with some old battle debris. You can add mode elements like barbed wire or other metal elements that you like but I wanted to keep those bases simple.


Next time I will show you how to paint those bases and what materials I use to for finishing effects so lets hope you find something interesting.

RED

1 comment:

  1. Neat tutorial. Interested to see how the pumice comes out when it's all painted. Those transports are looking so sweet. One day I hope to share mine on tau of war. I think I'll use this as inspiration.

    ReplyDelete